Lasting Impact of Arts & Culture
Most people think of the holiday season as a time to give the latest toy or gadget that hit the shelf this year or a shiny new piece of jewelry. Sure, those things bring joy to your loved one, but what if you could make that impact last longer than the “latest and greatest” thing?
When you give the gift of an arts and culture experience, you’ll help them create memories that can last a lifetime. Your purchase will also impact your local economy and community quality of life. Money spent on local arts and culture organizations will go to support local artisans, hospitality workers, and community outreach programs. It’s the gift that keeps on giving!
Top Five Arts and Culture Gift Ideas
While there are endless ways to give the wonder of arts and culture in your community, here are a few of our favorite ideas!
- Tickets to Their Favorite Performing Arts Show – Is your loved one a fan of the performing arts? Consider purchasing a set of tickets to their favorite show or season tickets to their favorite performing arts group! The Roanoke Symphony Orchestra, Mill Mountain Theatre, 5 Points Music Sanctuary, and Opera Roanoke are just a few of the local performing arts organizations that offer season passes.
- Buy Lessons – What better gift can be giving than inspiring their own creativity and growing their skills with lessons in their favorite form of the arts?! Aspiring young artists have access to a wide variety of lessons and classes that can make their dreams of channeling their creative side come true. RCT: Professional Theatre for Schools & Families offers acting classes and camps, the Jefferson Center’s Music Lab is perfect for musicians, and the Grandin Theatre’s Film Lab is the perfect program for the future Spielbergs. They’ll gain artistic and professional skills that will last their lifetime.
- Donate on Their Behalf – Some people would rather you give to others than themselves. More and more people ask that money originally spent on gifts for them go to one of their favorite organizations instead. If you know that they’re passionate about a local arts and culture organization, let them know you plan to give in their name. Organizations like the Virginia Museum of Transportation, the Historical Society of Western Virginia, and the Science Museum of Western Virginia are some of the many local organizations that have a great impact on our community that would greatly benefit from your support.
- Plan a Day or Night Out -Sometimes the best gift is quality time with one another. If you have a shared interest, why not include yourself in the gift too? Purchase tickets to your favorite classic film showing at the Grandin Theatre and have dinner at your favorite spot in Grandin Village. Does your little one adore animals? Buy tickets the Mill Mountain Zoo and stop at Blue Cow Ice Cream Co. on the way up the mountain! Art fanatics would love spending an afternoon at the Taubman Museum of Art before drinks at their favorite downtown restaurant. The possiblities are endless!
- Buy From a Local Artisan – Independent artists need love too! Works of art from independent artists are lurking in every corner of our beautiful community. RIOT Rooster Indie Craft Fair and downtown Dickens of a Christmas are both great one-stop-shops for local artisan vendors to sell their goods. Downtown is also rich with art galleries with beautiful pieces the put the perfect finishing touch on someone’s home. You can even find pieces for sale at your local coffee shop.
Whatever you choose to give your loved ones this holiday season, make sure it comes from the heart. Roanoke Cultural Endowment wishes you the happiest of holidays!